Tuesday, November 9, 2010

May I Take Your Order?


I often try to write about things that people in the US are unaware of in the countries that we visit. Sometimes it's the little things that matter the most. I believe that if people are more cultured and accepting of others, we can understand why people do the things they do and the world will become a better place. It is only through that realization that I, myself, have become much more patient and accepting. This is one of those posts.

I used to be a waitress. In fact, I used to think that I was a darn good one, having done it for 9 years. I have so many stories that I swore one day I was going to write a book and call it "4 Waters With Lemon". I even have some files on my computer where I jotted down various stories that I would use as excerpts. Many of these stories include rude people, weird eating habits... you name it. After dining in Asia, I could write a whole different book.

Hopefully this post will teach you something about restaurants in Asia.

1. There are no picky eaters in Asia unless you don't mind being rude.  When something is offered to you, it is very rude to say "no" because  by saying "no" it is as if you are rejecting both the person and their culture. Many have inquired about why I am mostly a vegetarian when I am here in Asia. You will soon learn why. (By the way, if you say that you are vegetarian, they are very accepting and it is not rude to say "no" to non-vegetarian foods.)

2. We're not in Kansas anymore. The sky is the limit, literally, when it comes to what is served. One of the local delicacies is Fish Head Curry, among others. The guests of honor or visitors are usually offered the fish head and eyeballs, as they are "lucky". Fish is always served whole and some of the favorite parts (depending on who you ask) are the fish eyeballs or the fish cheeks. (Can you tell why I am a vegetarian yet?)

3. Everything is spicy. If they say it isn't spicy, it just means that it is less spicy than the other options.

4. There is no need to tip because the tip is always included in the bill. Sometimes it is nice to leave a little something on the table though. Because of this, service is usually a lot slower than we are used to and each dish comes out as it is ready, not all together.

5. This next one is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you want to get your check or are ready to order, you raise your hand or whistle at the server to get their attention. Looking back on my serving days, I would have been a lot more understanding if I saw a foreigner do this because that is what they are accustomed to. Before, I would just get angry and ignore them further (I never said I was perfect).

6. No matter how hot it is outside, many people always order soup and hot tea. When we first got here, I remember making a comment to Jason and there is no way that I would order soup in such a hot climate. That quickly changed, as some of the soups here are fabulous. Plus, drinking the tea (with sugar of course) is the closest I can get to having my sweet tea.

7. When you go out to lunch or dinner in a group, almost everything is served family style. This is somewhat challenging for me because the men always want meat and I always want a vegetable. All I have to say is thank God for rice!

8. Coke light = Diet Coke and Tomato sauce = Ketchup

9. It never fails. Every time I sit down to eat, I am given a fork while the Asians at the table are given chopsticks. I always politely ask for chopsticks as well. I am pretty good with them now, if I do say so myself. I haven't quite mastered eating soup and rice with them yet though, although I try.

10. Women are usually served last. This is a very male driven culture. When we go out with friends, the men I am with serve me first but if it was up to the waitstaff, I would be last.

11. Many of the restaurants serve very fresh fish. So fresh that you pick out the exact fish (or crab) that you want out of the tank, and they cook it right up for you. (Yet another reason why I am a vegetarian. I feel like I get to know them when I watch them swimming in the tank and the poor things don't even know their fate.)

12. One of my favorite things is when you sit down at a nicer restaurant, you are usually given a warm towel to wash your hands with. This is very nice because it is so hot here, you can wipe your hands and face with it to refresh yourself. Note: This is also done on various Asian airlines before you take off. I love it! Delta, please take note.

13. There are so many types of hot teas here. I usually just ask for Earl Grey or Chinese Tea. It can get quite confusing.

14. The desserts here are very different. Very rarely do any of them contain chocolate. Most of them contain fruit or ice cream or a combination of the two. Mango pudding is one of my favorites. Most of the candies here are dried fruit or fruit hard candies. Don't worry though, I still manage to find my chocolates.

15. It is much cheaper to eat out than to cook, at least here in Singapore. If you visit the food courts, you can get a meal for S$5 (around $3.50 US). Groceries are super expensive. When we first moved here, I cooked once and it cost over $40 and I'm no chef. Therefore, we almost always eat out (unless I cook pasta).

16. In Singapore, alcoholic drinks are super expensive. Even beer. On average, a beer costs S$10 (almost $8 US). Because of this, we usually buy alcohol in the duty free shop in the airport.

17. One of my biggest let downs is the choice of salad dressings when we go out to eat. Before I left, I thought that I would always order ginger dressing, just like in the restaurants at home. No cigar. The only options are 1000 Island (which is the most popular... yuck!!), Vinaigrette (nothing like we are used to), and Mayo (what??). I try to stick with oil and vinegar.

18. Just because the menu has the word "Appetizer", it doesn't mean that it will come out first. Some of the time they even forget about it all together. If you want something to come out first, make sure to tell them not to put your other order in yet. We've made this mistake a couple times. Once, I even ate my dinner and dessert before our calamari.

19. If it is a nice restaurant, it is always freezing inside. I guess this is because they know that tourists like air con (that's what they call AC here). I only like this when I have been walking out in the heat for a while. Otherwise, I have goosebumps throughout the whole meal. Jason loves it and thinks that I should just wear a sweater... go figure.

20. Some of the more interesting foods I have eaten are: escargot, eel, and cow tongue. Some of the more interesting foods I have seen on the menu but will never try are: fish head, fish eyes, fish cheeks, frog, bowel (WTF?), beef/pork/chicken livers, pork snout, cow hoof, pork kidney, chicken feet (also served fried in a bag just like potato chips), and many, many more!

Tomorrow we leave for China. I am sure I can add to this list when we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment