Friday, September 3, 2010

Bier, Bretzels and Lederhosen

This past weekend was the first time I've really spent time in Munich, Germany (I don't really think my past visits to the train station really counts). When Jason told me that we were going to spend the weekend in Munich before we went to Salzburg, I was neither excited nor upset. I just went with the flow. I was definitely surprised with how much I liked it. It is amazing how different cities are even though they are so close in distance. It kind of reminded me of Italy, minus all the people speaking German.
On Thursday, after traveling, we decided to visit Marienplatz. We walked around, went shopping, and made it just in time to see the Glockenspiel chime at 5pm in the square. It was by far the best clock-watching experience I have ever had. I determined that if ever I was an inanimate object, I would want to be one of the happy, life-sized dancing figures that spins to the tune. Then we grabbed a beer in Merienplatz. Let me tell you, having a beer in Marienplatz was one of the best people-watching experiences I have ever had. Ever.

On Friday, we got up early and decided we would walk around and see where the day would take us. We visited the Viktualienmarkt even though it was raining. The Viktualienmarkt is a bustling, colorful outdoor food market at the end of the pedestrian zone off the Marienplatz. It is one of the city's major attractions and has existed on the site since 1807. Here they sell all sorts of food (mmm... pretzels everywhere!), flowers, and knick knacks. Since it was crappy out, we decided that we would visit the HofbrÀuhaus. It is the oldest and most well known beer hall/brewery. It was opened in 1605 and Hitler supposedly held meetings there. It is one of the top tourist attractions but also has food, bands, etc. This was quite an experience and is now one of my favorite places to visit. I mean, who wouldn't want to drink great beer, each amazing pretzels, and watch drunk guys in lederhosen sing and dance on tables at 2pm?! Afterwards, it was beautiful outside and we walked around the city all the way back to our hotel through the prettiest gardens and parks. We went home to take a nap and fell asleep by 6pm. Whoops! No dinner for us!
On Saturday, we woke up early and decided to visit the BMW Museum. Although neither of us are car people, we thought it would be something interesting to do on a rainy day. The technology and appearance of the museum were very interesting. I probably enjoyed that aspect more than the actual cars. I think I would have been more interested if I could have picked out a car for myself ;). Sorry, all the good pictures were taken on Jason's camera! Afterwards, we decided to walk around and grab a couple of beers at a pub. After a couple of beers, we went to a Mexican Restaurant so Jason could get a shot of his favorite- tequila! This was our first mistake of the trip. While we were there, we decided to have a couple of adult beverages along with the shot (after we had been drinking some of the 5% beers and not really eating anything all day). I will not go into details but let's just say I was in bed sleeping by 5pm and didn't wake up until 4am the next morning. This was my first real hangover and let me tell you, getting older stinks! What happened to my college tolerance? Oh, and no dinner for us- 2nd night in a row!
The next day, Sunday, I was a mess. I was not happy that we had to get ready, catch a cab and go on a 2 hour train ride to Salzburg. I could have stayed in bed all day. I even remember joking with Jason saying that if we go out Saturday night, we better not drink too much since we have to travel on Sunday. Go figure, I drink during the day and it still happens to me. Serves me right, I suppose. After finally lunch, I felt much better. The train ride wasn't so bad after all. After we arrived to the hotel, we walked around for a bit and grabbed dinner. It must have been like a 5 day hangover because I finally had my first beer after that incident last night... and trust me, I was a lot more careful. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment