Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bed Time Story

"I have to sell these before I can go to bed." That is what the little boy carrying the roses into the bar walked up to us and said last weekend when we were out in Bangkok. It truly broke my heart. It was nearly 2am and two little boys and their older sister were out in the streets, trying to make money for their family by selling small roses. Jason quickly bought three roses for me. Boy were they such cute kids and quite the little sales people!

Jason and I started talking to them and asked them to hang out with us for a little while. While I was talking to them, Jason ran down the street and bought some big stuffed animals for them. When he came back, their eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning. I began to cry. I'm sure no one has done anything like that for these children and they could not stop thanking us.

The youngest of the kids was talking to me the most. He told me that he was sorry but they had to leave because he couldn't go to bed until he sold his flowers. I decided to leave with him to help him sell his flowers so he could stop working for the night. I was holding his hand, walking with him down the street. I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a happy kid. When I went back to meet Jason, I could not stop myself from crying. I told Jason that I wanted to take them all home with us. Boy, I sure wish I could have.

Being in Asia has really made me realize how lucky I was to grow up into such a blessed and loving family. In a free country, where I, a woman, have rights and a voice. It has also shown me that I have taken so much for granted and has truly softened my heart. So tonight, please be thankful for all that you have, I know I sure am.

You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it. -Bill Cosby












No comments:

Post a Comment