Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Kid On The Block... The Real Life Southerner

I was very blessed to have started out with a group of friends when I moved to Salzburg. Another expat wife introduced me to a group of English-speaking ladies that had just started to meet who all live in Salzburg. We hang out almost once a week and go out to lunch, dinner, and whatnot. Some of us are also participating in a book club, which I LOVE since I love to read. In the group there are about 12 of us, although it's never that many that all hang out at once. We are all different ages and at different stages in our lives. And the best part... we are from all over the world. We have people representing Atlanta, Pittsburg, North Carolina, California, Holland, France, Australia, and England. Maybe even more. I love that we can all learn from each other. We always have something to talk about!

Since I am the new kid on the block, I was roaming around one afternoon looking for the cafe we were meeting up at for a birthday lunch. I could not find the darn place and just kept walking and walking. Just as I grabbed my cell phone to call one of the girls, Geana pulled over, honked at me and picked me up (since I was so obviously lost). My first thought was, "OMG, I actually know people here!" I was excited. Anyway, I hopped in the car and we embarked on our "finding a parking spot" adventure. Never fun. As we drove around like vultures "preying" someone would leave (ok, I'm lame), we got to chatting. As we were talking, I mentioned that I am from Atlanta. Shortly after, Geana commented on my strong southern accent... and here's my favorite part... she said, "Oh my gosh, you are the first real life southern person I have ever met. I have only seen you guys in the movies but never in real life." That moment instantly made me think of the M&M commercial where Santa sees the two M&Ms and says "They do exist" before he faints. I just loved it!

Long story short, I am blessed and am loving life in Salzburg thus far. I am also proud of my southern roots...

I am proud to be from the South - where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. Have a good day y'all! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment