Thursday, November 17, 2011

Globus

One thing that I have learned after living abroad for over a year and a half is that Americans take things for granted. I know I did when I lived in the States.

Recently, we got assigned a new German teacher. I was not thrilled about this because we had really grown to love our old teacher. Since our schedule is so hectic, she had to pass us off to someone else which is totally understandable. Well, one positive about this change is that our new German teacher is from Germany (about 15 minutes away) and is really nice. We were talking about how I missed American grocery stores and she told me about Globus.

I finally ventured to Globus yesterday and was completely shocked with what I saw. It was like a Walmart (which doesn't exist here) and even had donuts, "American" microwave popcorn and Cranberries imported from America! I was in heaven. The grocery stores here are really small and have slim pickins' so I was in heaven, to say the least.

Who ever thought that one could get emotional over a grocery store? I sure didn't. I nearly cried with joy for having found it (and I'm totally being serious). Sometimes it's just the little things in life that make you so thankful. What an appropriate thought since Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

Needless to say, I spent 2 hours in Globus and left with a very full shopping cart and my wallet a little lighter (shhh don't tell Jason!) ;). I can't wait to go back to pick up a few items for our Thanksgiving Potluck with our friends next Friday. Life is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment