Monday, August 1, 2011

Budapest Girl's Trip

Last week me and several friends (and babies and Jack) decided to go on a girl's trip to Budapest since all of our hubbies were out of town for work at the same time. The original plan was to go to the beach in Croatia but the apartment we wanted to rent was not available. So, with some very last minute planning, we were off to Hungary.

Since I do not have a family pass for the train, my ticket would have been uber expensive so I decided to drive and Izzy and Lou (baby) joined. Our drive was 5 hours and it flew by. We chatted and caught up the whole way while the baby slept, making our trip truly pleasant.

We arrived before the other girls and decided to wait at the cafe next to the apartment and had a glass of Hungarian wine and ooohhh was is yummy! We eventually met the landlord and were shown around our new pad. It was two bedrooms with a nice kitchen, living room, and bathroom and plenty of sleeping space for us all. Sounds great, huh? Well, it was but I'm not quite sure what we were thinking having 5 ladies, 4 babies under 1, and a dog all in this one apartment. Needless to say, the trip was an adventure from the very start.

After we settled in, we changed, got our things together and went out to a lovely dinner. And by lovely I mean it was good company and the babies were asleep because my meal was less than mediocre. After dinner and a couple bottles of wine, we all raced home. Literally. It was the start of the infamous kinderwagon races. For all you non-German speakers, a kinderwagon is a baby stroller. I was running while trying to take picture and laughing my butt off but here is the pic I took. Maybe you just had to be there.
Now I'm sure you all could have seen this coming, especially all the parents out there, but the sleeping arrangements were horrible. By the time one baby was asleep, another would cry and wake him/her up starting the whole cycle over again. The domino effect in real life. This was a problem every night, making us all the more exhausted each night. By the end of our trip, we all needed a vacation from our mini vacation.

The following day, Sego was our tour guide and showed us around town. This was a very stressful day because each baby would cry or poop or eat and we were constantly stopping. Surprise, surprise. If you ever want a good birth control, just come on one of our girl's trips and I'm sure you'll get over that real quick. ;) We spent the whole day walking around and seeing a bunch of the sites. I must say, Budapest in one of my favorite cities. I loved it!! Our tour guide wasn't too shabby either! :)
After walking around the city all day, we walked towards our apartment and found a nice Italian restaurant to eat at for dinner. I will spare you the details but it was probably not the best idea to take the kiddos out after such a long day. Here is a basic outline, not including names...
I. Baby 1 starts crying
   A. Mom 1 gets food
   B. Mom 1 eats real fast
   C. Mom 1 races home to get baby to sleep and leaves dinner early
II. Baby 2 starts crying
   A. Mom 2 takes baby to park outside restaurant and changes diaper
   B. Mom 2 returns with poop all over her shirt
   C. Mom 2 changes into one of our extra shirts
   D. Mom 2 finally enjoys her meal and a big glass of wine
III. Baby 3 starts crying
   A. Mom 3 takes baby to park and changes diaper
   B. Mom 3 walks around with baby, trying to quiet her down
   C. Mom 3 returns and finally enjoys her meal and wine
IV. Mom 4 and I eat and drink merrily
   A. We outlast other Moms and hang out at table while Mom 2 and 3 take babies home
   B. We accidently didn't leave enough money for the check and are chased down by the server 
       1. This is very embarrassing being that it was in front of several cafes
   C. Jack gets run over by Mom 4's stroller as we try to leave quickly
Needless to say, it was a pretty "shitty" dinner. At this point you should realize that getting the kids to bed was difficult every night.

The following day we decided to separate up a bit since the day before had been so stressful. Sego and I joined forces and walked around the city. Our first stop was the train station so Sego could buy her return ticket home. We then walked to the park and enjoyed lunch and the sunshine, where Nichole met up with us for a bit. While walking towards the Jewish quarter, we ran into Kim and Izzy. We chatted for a bit before going our own ways again. We went shopping and exploring and had a wonderful day.
For dinner, we decided to cook in the apartment. We made risotto while the Moms tried to put the babies to sleep one by one. Around 9:30pm we were successful and had a lovely dinner. We chatted, drank good wine, and finally had somewhat of a relaxing evening. 

The next morning we were up and at 'em. We cleaned and got all packed up and headed back to the Burg. Our trip was fun, minus a couple of bumps in the road. I'm pretty sure Jack had the best time, being that he ate a ton of people food that the munchkins kept feeding him. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd go back on a trip like this unless we had our own sleeping quarters. I can look back and laugh now but at some point I'm pretty sure we all wanted to cry. It was definitely an experience and I'm so glad to have gotten to know my friends in Salzburg even better. They are some pretty cool chicks.

The end.

P.S. I must be crazy because none of this has changed my mind about wanting a baby. ;)



  







1 comment:

  1. Love it! Great summary and great moments! Mum number 1

    ReplyDelete