Thursday, February 24, 2011

Top Chef

You would be quite surprised by how much I have cooked/baked while being in Salzburg. I cook dinner nearly every night and to my surprise, I'm not too shabby. Well, I thought I wasn't until I cooked Jason's birthday cake yesterday.

Now, as a side note, it is very difficult to cook here because I can't read the back of boxes since they are all in German and they use the metric system for their measurements. Because of this, a simple meal takes twice as long because I have to type the whole darn thing into Google Translation and then convert the measurements. Blah! Ok, back to the story...

For those that don't know, Jason hates fruits and vegetables. Tisk tisk, I know! The recipe called for some apricot marmolade but I knew Jason wouldn't like that, so I 86ed that idea (sorry, restaurant talk) and made the cake without it. Because I didn't cook it with the marmolade, I probably shouldn't have baked it so long, so the top started to burn. Whoops. I had to chop it off. Long story short, this is what I ended up with:
Oops! Not the prettiest looking cake but it was still pretty tasty. It's the thought that counts, right? I guess I should have tried to learn how to bake cakes like my cousin Remy. Oh well.

Last week, I made stuffed peppers just like my Mom makes. They turned out amazing (if I do say so myself). I guess from now on, I should just follow the original recipe.
Do you have any recipes that are to die for? If so, please share! :)








1 comment:

  1. This story made me LOL! Best part for me is seeing Jason is 39!

    ReplyDelete