Thursday, February 17, 2011

Frogger

The last several weeks in Salzburg have been quite the learning experience. On top of trying to learn German, I have had the joy of learning how to drive our car that is a manual.

Driving in Salzburg makes me think that I'm driving in a real life video game. Not only am I trying to get used to the whole clutch/gas nonsense, but then I have to dodge pedestrians and bicycles and maneuver the bus lanes while going through roundabouts and narrow streets. What do you get when you win the game? To drive on the autobahn, of course. I don't think people realize that the autobahn is not just in Germany; there are also autobahns in Austria and Switzerland. So, to the many cops that have gotten me for speeding, I was just practicing! ;)

Tuesday night on our way to book club, it was almost a GAME OVER for the poor soul we noticed who was driving the wrong way down a one way street. She was driving full speed and came within inches of hitting another car head on and then had to turn around in traffic. You can't get too surprised because it could happen to anyone. There are one way streets everywhere here and the road signs are difficult to read.

So, although Frogger was one of my favorite games when I was growing up, I am not going to try to reenact it here in real life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment