Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Strong Legs 10k at Turner Field


This past Saturday, I ran the Strong Legs 10k at Turner Field. It is one of my favorite races. This is the third time I have run this race in the past couple of years. My all-time favorite race to run is the Peachtree Roadrace, which is on the 4th of July. This year would have been my 10th year running it, but I was in Ohio for my family reunion. Someday I hope to run a marathon, if my feet will allow me. Hopefully this upcoming spring I will run a half marathon. For those that don't know, I have plantar fasciitis in both of my feet. It has been a challenge (and quite painful) running with such bad feet.

In case you don't know, Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) is one of the most common causes of heel pain. It involves pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, which runs across the bottom of your foot — connecting your heel bone to your toes. Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position. Plantar fasciitis is particularly common in runners. People who are overweight, women who are pregnant and those who wear shoes with inadequate support are at a higher risk of plantar fasciitis.

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." - Jesse Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment