Saturday, September 21, 2013

My 5 Day Juice Cleanse


This process started while I was in Singapore. I met a chick that was doing a 5 day juice cleanse with her husband. She looked fit and healthy and I was sick of looking at my excess baby weight and doing nothing about it (well I was working out but the weight didn't seem to be going anywhere). Mind you, I also wanted to do it to get all of the junk out of my system. After the last 10 years, I'm sure there was A LOT. I decided to research and start one myself upon my arrival back in the States because enough was ENOUGH. After researching for a day, I chose Life Juice because it was rated as being one of the best tasting cleanses. I figured if I was going to do it, I may as well enjoy it. Right? 

To be honest, I can't believe I actually did this... successfully. I didn't even cheat!! I started my 5 day juice cleanse last Sunday and completed it last night. I went the full 5 days with just the juices, water and one glass of hot tea (decaf with no sugar). It started off really well but by yesterday afternoon I was pretty sure I was going to die. I mean, the juices did taste pretty good (except the first one... yuck!) but this girl needs her food! It was pure torture watching Jason and his parents eating a delicious dinner together last night. I tried not to watch. And I can't even tell you how many commercials have food in them (or maybe I can). I swear it's pretty much every single one. Did the TV gods know? I was salivating over things I would never dreamed I would have... like the all you can eat shrimp at Red Lobster. It was THAT bad. (If you didn't know, I worked at Red Lobster for a few years and let's just say I never planned on eating there again since I got so sick of the food). I also purposely took longer routes to my destinations all week so I wouldn't have to pass any restaurants that knowingly had strong odors coming from them, like barbecue joints. I think you get the gist.  

The first few days weren't hard. Jason was out of town which made it a lot easier since I didn't have to sit through any meals (except for last night) and I didn't have to worry about what I was going to eat for the day. I really didn't think about it until each evening when I got a slight headache. My energy level was definitely down and I went to bed earlier than usual every night. My tummy never really growled except for last night, which again had to do with Jason and his parents eating in front of me I think. 

Overall, I am very happy with my results. I just FEEL good. I feel healthy. And I am very proud of myself for sticking to it, which took a lot of willpower. I ended up losing 10 pounds in all. I probably could have lost more but I wasn't so much concerned with weight loss as I was with just cleaning out my body. I didn't work out during the cleanse except for the first day when I biked 14 miles. To be honest, I didn't have the energy for it. Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe. I'm really not sure to be honest. Let's just say I am glad it's over. This cleanse really has made me think about what I put into my body though. I am more aware of what is in food and the nutritional value of my meals and I really hope to continue to make healthier choices. It was a great jump start to what I hope will become a healthier lifestyle. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment