Friday, August 17, 2012

Weight Loss Update and the American Diet

Remember when I told you that I wanted to lose 10 lbs. before our trip to Egypt? Well, I didn't quite make it  before our trip (it was probably unrealistic anyway since I only gave myself 17 days to do it!) but I am happy to announce that I finally accomplished my goal!! It took a little over 5 weeks but I didn't give up. How did I do it, you ask? I started to run A LOT more, I cut down on junk food, and I started to eat a little less but more times throughout the day.

I have come to the realization that it is okay to not finish my meal if I am already full. As children, we are programmed to finish our meals before we can be excused from the table. As teenagers, we come to grips with how much those meals cost (since we paid for them with our own money when out with friends) and finished our meal to "get our money's worth." As adults, we need to go back to the basics and stop eating when we are full- even if there is still food left on your plate. If you don't want to be wasteful, take the rest home with you. Sometimes leftovers can be even better than the meal was to begin with.

After travelling all over the world, I must say that it is hard for me to look at a typical American portion of food without being disgusted. Yesterday is a prime example. My Mom, brother and I went to eat in the food court at the mall. We settled on an Asian place, where we ordered chicken, rice and veggies. Thank goodness my Mom and I were sharing because the whole take-out box was overflowing with food (which was meant for one person). It was disgusting to see that either 1. a single person was to eat all of that food or 2. how much food would have been wasted. The two of us still didn't finish it all. Gross! All I saw were the faces of the starving children I have seen in Asia...

Just mentioning this makes me think about how wasteful we are in other areas too, not just those pertaining to food. I admire many of my European friends who recycle everything, bike instead of drive to work (even if they have a car), and are conscious with how much energy and power they use. Imagine what the world would be like if we all did this? (okay I'm sure I sound like a crazy person to some of you!!)

Travelling really has changed my perspective on life and I believe I have become a better person for it. A skinnier and less wasteful person. ;)

xx




1 comment:

  1. And we wonder why so many Americans are obese? I have seen those Asian take- outs in the mall. Those are some crazy portions.

    ReplyDelete