Monday, May 7, 2012

Diving: Koh Samui, Thailand

Last week we were in Thailand. It was simply amazing. I will write a blog later this week all about our five day holiday. It was so lovely! Just thinking of it makes me daydream about our time in the sun, the sound of the ocean in the background, laying next to my handsome husband. Ugh. I wanna go back!!

Ok, I'll snap out of it. While we were there, we decided to go scuba diving two of the days. If you remember anything about my infamous "mask squeeze" incident, you can imagine that I was quite nervous. In fact, I even had a nightmare about diving the night before. But, since I'm no wimp, I went anyway. And I am very glad that I did.

The first scuba trip we went on, we took a long boat ride (3.5 hours each way) to the shallow water dive site. The dive was about 25 feet and was perfect since I was a little nervous about diving again. The water was crystal clear and the reef was gorgeous. A photographer was underwater with us and took a bunch of pictures and put them on a CD that we bought later. As usual, Jason held my hand the whole time as we explored the spectacular views. We dove this twice that day before heading back. It was a total blast and I am so glad that I decided to dive again. In fact, that afternoon we signed up for another dive that we went on a couple days later.

Here are some of the pictures the photographer took of our dive:









Although I love the last picture, it is a little sobering knowing that you really don't know what is under you. I had no idea the photographer took this picture until I looked at these photos after we left Koh Samui.

The day before we left, we went on our second dive trip. It was much nicer because we took a speed boat and it only took an hour to get to the dive site, which still gave us a half day at the beach after we were done. The second trip was a deep water dive where we went nearly 90 feet at Sailrock. This dive was pretty cool because we saw huge grouper (that were bigger than me!!) and we even got to swim through a chimney-like reef. The fish on this dive were a whole lot bigger so you better believe that Jason got the death grip from me. This location is know for having a lot of whale sharks, which is why we chose this dive but unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to see one. Maybe next time. **In case you are wondering, a whale shark is a type of shark (that looks more like a whale) that eats plankton, so we were in no danger.**

Overall, I had a great time diving and look forward to many more dive trips in the future with Jason. It looks like our next dive location will be somewhere in Greece in July or August so I will make sure to keep you posted. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello there!

    My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Austria and around the world could really gain some great insights [and have a few good laughs] on this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Austria section on InterNations.org
    Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.
    If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org
    Best,
    Malte Zeeck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see this post i will tell my friends circle about this post. liveaboard similan | similan liveaboards

    ReplyDelete