Monday, April 19, 2010

First Weekend in Singapore





Was amazing! Jason and I arrived on Saturday night at around 6pm. We got to our hotel at 8pm. Upon arrival, we were told that our room was upgraded to the executive suite. Finally some good news! Our hotel has a living room/office, large bedroom, and a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi. It is in Clark Quey (look it up, it's awesome!) and there are several bars, shops, and restaurants right next to our building. After moving all of our bags (10 to be exact) into our room, we got showered and went to dinner. To where you ask? The Irish Pub, of course! Haha! Dinner was good but we soon got tired from the jet lag and called it a night.

Yesterday was our first full day in our new home, Singapore. We got up early and worked out for nearly an hour and then got showered and ready to go. We went to lunch at Hooters (just for you Lisa!) which was pretty funny because none of the girls had them. LOL. The menu is very different than the one at home too. Between working out and the food, I think I might come home at least 20 lbs. skinnier since none of the food looked very appetizing.

After lunch we wandered down to Chinatown. I've never seen anything like it in all my life. The smells made me sick to my stomach but some of the shops had some crazy things. One store had everything from $50,000 pottery to groceries. Oh, and boy do those Chinese love their medicine. If I ever get sick, I'm heading straight to Chinatown. We also went into a Buddhist temple while it was in session. The whole thing was so elaborate, it reminded me of some of the churches in Italy. All of the congregation was chanting. Jason took a lot of pictures, and I will be sure to post them as soon as I get them off his camera.

After visiting Chinatown, we decided to venture into Little India. Boy was this an experience! I was as ready to leave as soon as we got there. The smells in Little India were nauseating. I think it was the curry. I don't like curry at all, no offense to those that do. Anyway, in Little India, Jason and I were pretty much the only tourists. This should have been our first indication that we were probably not in the right area of Little India. We wandered the streets past several shops, one of which that had meat in plastic bags all over the floor. Across the street from that shop there were cries from cats. I could have sworn they were being slaughtered. Jason grabbed my hand and we left that street, probably because I looked so bug-eyed. We did go to one area that had several neat shops and henna tatooing. I was grateful to be in this area. Indian music was playing loudly on the streets and shop owners were trying to get us into their stores to buy things.

This sure was a whole new world to me! I can't wait to explore some more. This place truly is amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys arrived safely in your new home town. Good luck finding a place. Definitely post pictures as soon as you do!

    ReplyDelete