Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What Will I Miss?

Last night was my last monthly girl's dinner in Salzburg. I will attend a White Elephant Christmas Dinner on Saturday, but that is obviously a special occasion. I am just glad that last night wasn't the night for my final goodbyes.

While chatting with the girls, Sego asked me what I will take with me from my time here. I probably didn't answer this question the best last night because I was taken aback and there is just so much that I have learned from our experiences here in Salzburg that I will take with me. And to be honest, as much as I want to go home and be close to my friends and family, the people here have become a family away from home (if that makes any sense) and I really didn't want to think about leaving just quite yet. I will say that living abroad has really opened my eyes up to the world. I have learned so much about places, people and cultures and have become much more open-minded about them (not that I wasn't accepting before but traveling as much as we have has really made me grow as a person). And I have learned some pretty cool phrases from each of my friends that I just love. If you want to know more, let's have a chin-wag. ;)

This is not my final farewell post to Salzburg, so that's not what I want to make this post about. That will come later. I do want to list out some things that I will and will not miss. So, here they are in no particular order.

Things I will NOT miss:
- Shops/Grocery store being closed on Sundays
- Banks being closed during midday and on Saturdays
- Having to walk everywhere to get around/sharing a car
- The German language (although I loved my class, it is so hard and frustrating!)
- Being so far away from family
- Grocery shopping and figuring out the German names for items
- Having my bike stolen
- Speeding tickets
- Not being able to talk to anyone on the phone due to my lack of German. Good thing I have very sweet friends to make appointments for me!

Thing I WILL miss... a lot:
- My lovely friends who all have their own personalities but somehow we all managed to click right from the start. We all share a bond from being from other places and coming together during this special time in our lives. I seriously love them.
- Taking Jack everywhere with us (and Jason putting Jack in his coat during the winter when we walked around)
- Going on a road trip to another country whenever we feel like it
- Walking everywhere, hiking, climbing, and just being outdoorsy (and my weak attempt at rollerblading)
- Our girl's dinners, birthday celebrations, Thanksgiving parties, White Elephant parties, dinner with friends, coffee dates and boot camp (even though I still hate pushups!)
- Teaching English
- The ice cold lakes on a hot summer day
- Skiing on real mountains with amazing powder and gorgeous scenery
- Running by the river
- Karaoke nights
- German beer
- Oktoberfest
- Wearing my dirndl and Jason wearing his Lederhosen without it being Halloween
- My German lessons
- Coffee in the breakroom with people from Jason's office on a random weekday when I stop by
- Gluhwein
- Watching my friend's children grow up right before my eyes
- Showing visitors around Salzburg

There are obviously so many more things that I am going to miss. The pros have definitely outweighed the cons and I am very thankful for that. It truly has been such a great place to live!

Here a few pictures from last night. These girls (and a few that are missing) really made my time here in Salzburg feel like home. I sure am going to miss them!!











Love you girls!! xx
















No comments:

Post a Comment