Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning That Septemeber Day?

September 11, 2001. I will never forget. I mean, how could I or anyone else in the world? That was the day that I realized the world is no longer a safe place. I was completely engrossed in the TV and heartbroken that someone could do this to MY country.

That morning started out like any other. I was in 11th grade at Chattahoochee. I was talking in the hall with a friend and was running late to class (surprise, surprise since I'm such a talker). I remember running into Mrs. Johnson's Spanish 2 class after the bell, thinking I was going to get in trouble for being late. I ran to my seat, sat down and noticed a TV in the front of the room with everyone's eyes glued to it. I was excited because we never had movie day in Spanish. I asked my neighbor what movie was playing and she looked at me with tears in her eyes and told me that it wasn't a movie and that we were watching live coverage of a plane that had just hit the World Trade Center. As we all watched in disbelief, several moments later we witnessed the second place hit tower 2. I was in disbelief. The rest of the day was a blur as we moved from class to class after each ring of the bell. We walked into class, sat in front of the TV, and cried. When I got home from school, I immediately turned on the TV. As much as the coverage saddened and angered me, I just couldn't turn it off. I remember being really mad that I had to go to work that night because I didn't want to miss any of the news. I was not disappointed when no one came in the restaurant that night and I got sent home early. It's truly a day that I will never forget.

As you all know, today is the 10th anniversary of that very day. Where does the time go? This year, as I sit in another country that is my temporary residence, I am so very proud to be an AMERICAN. I am so thankful to all of the troops who sacrifice their lives each and every day (especially my cousin Derek and step-daughter Kaitlyn) so that we can be FREE. Although this is a very sad day--especially for those that lost their family and friends and their sense of security--this is also a day that we will forever stand together and be proud.

So I ask you, where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?

GOD BLESS AMERICA!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment