Friday, April 8, 2011

Celebrate!

Tonight we had a girl's night. There were 9 of us in all. I love nights like tonight because I alway learn something new and our topics of discussion are all over the board. One topic really interested me and I just felt like I had to share how I felt afterwards...

One of the most amazing things about living abroad is experiencing people and their cultures. I had never thought about it before but in general, people here actually CELEBRATE. They celebrate holidays, birthdays and life in general. I know that you are thinking, "hey, we do too!" But no, you don't celebrate like they do here. I'm talking real celebration here people- where the men sing and dance too and show real emotion (and aren't ashamed of it), where people kiss each other on the cheeks as a greeting, where you have to look each other in the eye when toasting a beer, and where people close their shops on Sundays so they can spend time with their family.

I don't know what it is but living in Salzburg has really opened my eyes to the beauty of life and in other people- perhaps it is the lovely group of friends I have made, but I honestly don't think that explains it all (but it does explain a lot!).

I guess what I am trying to say is that we should all try to CELEBRATE more. Don't sweat the small stuff. Take a vacation from work every once in a while for no reason but to spend time with the ones that you love. Because at the end of the day, it is only those people who will be there for you no matter what. Trust me, I know. It doesn't matter where you are or what music is playing... just DANCE!!
This is a picture of the jukebox at the restaurant tonight. Just looking at it and watching it play made me realize that sometimes it's the simplest things in life that can produce the most happiness. X

No comments:

Post a Comment