Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering September 11, 2001



I can not believe that today is the 8th anniversary of Sept. 11! I will never forget walking into my second period Spanish class seeing the TV in front of the class. When I first walked in, late as usual, I did not notice that the news was on. I was too worried that my teacher would write me up for being late. I thought we were going to watch a Spanish movie of sorts and quickly got myself settled into my seat. After watching the TV for a moment I realized that it was, in fact, real news that was happening right at that moment in my very own country. My eyes were glued to the TV and I could not stop crying. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit the north tower. For some reason I could not take my eyes off of the television. It was as if something came over me. Watching people jumping out of the building, running from the collapsing buildings with masks on, and seeing faces full of terror quickly came over my being like a shock wave. Although it is by far the saddest thing I have ever seen on TV, for some reason I just could not look away. I kept thinking, this is America. War does not happen here, it happens in other countries. I think it impacted me so greatly because my family is from New York and I have been to the World Trade Center many times when I was younger. I could not believe that such an event could occur somewhere I had been and held dear to my heart. I immediately thought of my family that still resides in New York, wondering if they were all ok and worrying about them. My stomach felt as if it was being churned inside and out. Although no one close to me died on that tragic day, I will never forget the way I felt heartbroken and violated because so many innocent people died that day for no reason. After Sept. 11 I was quite interested in the stories I heard and read that were about those who died that day. I read the book "Let's Roll" by Lisa Beamer. Her husband, Todd Beamer, was on Flight 93 and had tried to overcome the hijackers on the flight. He is known for being a hero and his last audible words from his phone call were "Are you guys ready? Let's roll." I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested. There really is nothing like reading of book about real life heroism. Remembering Sept. 11 makes me very proud to be an American. Although it is a very sad day to remember, I am glad that it brings us all together.

"Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children."- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001


No comments:

Post a Comment